I have just released version 0.03 of the Post Deployment Smoke Testing Tool. This release focuses on 3 main area.
- Usability enhancements to the Test Configuration Editor, like linking tests from the editor and the test runner view, sorting tests by execution result and a tool for generating file checksums (MD5, SHA1, SHA256) to make the Checksum tests easier to use.
- Writing out of Txt, Csv, or XML test reports from the Test Configuration Editor or Command Line Test Runner tool.
- Added 2 new test types for spawning command line / batch files.
The 2 new tests for calling command line applications / batch files are useful if you need to test something that the Smoke Tester doesn’t support out of the box. One of the tests (CallExecutableCheckReturnCodeTest) lets you run an executable and check the return code. The other test (CallExecutableCheckOutputTextTest) lets you run an executable and check for the existence of a text string in the console output. These are very useful if you have some separate tools that you use for system checking.
The new tool in the test editor makes it easy to generate hashed checksums of files that you want to test. This to make using the Checksum tests easier to use, by giving you a way of simply creating checksums for the target files. This is accessed from the Tools menu in the test editor.
The complete release notes are :
- Added a new TestCategoryAttribute to each test. This means in the UI, instead of getting a large list of tests to choose from, they are now displayed in a set of categorised folders. This is to aid usability.
- Add test linking between the test editor view and the test result view. This means if you get a failing test in the results view you can double click on it to navigate to the failing test in the test editor view.
- Add a test report writer to the UI. This allows you to automatically output a test report in XML, CSV and Plain Text.
- Add a test report writer to the Command Line test runner. This allows you to automatically output a test report in XML, CSV and Plain Text.
- Added a tool to the test builder that allows you to calculate MD5, SHA1, SHA256 checksums of selected files. This makes it easier to calculate file checksums when using the checksum tests.
- Ordering Tests In The Test Run View. You can now click on the column headings in the Test Run view of the test editor to sort the test results based on test outcome, ie pass/fail.
- Added new test called CallExecutableCheckReturnCodeTest. This allows you to call an external tool or batch file and test the return code.
- Added new test called CallExecutableCheckOutputTextTest. This allows you to call an external tool or batch file and test that text in the standard out contains specific values.